McGhee Tyson Airport
McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) is a public airport serving the Knoxville metropolitan area in Tennessee, United States. It is located about 12 miles south of downtown Knoxville in Alcoa, Blount County, and is named after two prominent figures from the area: United States Navy pilot Charles McGhee Tyson and his father, World War I veteran Brigadier General Lawrence Tyson.
The airport is the third-largest in Tennessee and serves as a hub for regional airlines such as Delta Connection, American Eagle, and United Express, offering nonstop flights to major cities across the United States. In addition to passenger service, the airport also supports cargo operations and serves as a base for the Tennessee Air National Guard.
McGhee Tyson Airport Code
|Owner||Metropolitan Knoxville Airport Authority|
|Location||Alcoa, Tennessee, U.S.
McGhee Tyson Airport Location
McGhee Tyson Airport is located at 2055 Alcoa Hwy, Alcoa, TN 37701, United States. It is situated approximately 12 miles south of downtown Knoxville, near the cities of Alcoa and Maryville in Blount County, Tennessee. The airport is easily accessible by car, with several major highways and roads connecting it to the surrounding areas, including Alcoa Highway (US 129), Pellissippi Parkway (SR 162), and Interstate 140 (TN 140).
How to reach McGhee Tyson Airport
McGhee Tyson Airport is easily accessible by car, taxi, shuttle, or public transportation. Here are some of the most common ways to reach the airport:
- Car: The airport is located on Alcoa Highway (US 129) in Alcoa, Tennessee, and can be easily reached by car from Knoxville or any other nearby city. The airport has several parking options available, including short-term, long-term, and economy parking.
- Taxi: Several taxi companies serve the airport, offering transportation to and from Knoxville and other nearby cities. Taxis can be found at the curbside outside of the baggage claim area.
- Shuttle: Several shuttle companies offer transportation to and from the airport, including hotel shuttles, shared-ride services, and private shuttles. Shuttle tickets can be purchased at the airport or reserved in advance.
- Public transportation: Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) operates a bus route that connects the airport to downtown Knoxville. The route runs Monday through Saturday and stops at several locations throughout Knoxville. Fare information and schedules can be found on KAT’s website.
No matter which transportation method you choose, it is always a good idea to plan ahead and check the airport’s website for the most up-to-date information on transportation options and schedules.
McGhee Tyson Airport Terminal Information
McGhee Tyson Airport has one main terminal building that serves all airlines and passengers. Here is some information about the airport terminal:
- Concourses: The terminal has one concourse that serves all airlines. The concourse has 12 gates, numbered A1 to A12, and is located on the east side of the terminal.
- Check-in: The check-in counters for all airlines are located on the upper level of the terminal, near the entrance. Passengers can check in for their flights, drop off their luggage, and obtain their boarding passes at these counters.
- Security: The security checkpoint is located on the lower level of the terminal, near the entrance to the concourse. Passengers are required to go through security screening before entering the concourse.
- Services and amenities: The terminal has several services and amenities for passengers, including restaurants, cafes, bars, shops, ATMs, currency exchange, free Wi-Fi, charging stations, and a business center.
- Ground transportation: The terminal has a ground transportation center located outside of baggage claim. Here, passengers can find taxis, shuttle services, rental car agencies, and public transportation.
Overall, the terminal at McGhee Tyson Airport is modern, clean, and efficient, with a variety of services and amenities to make the travel experience more comfortable and convenient.
Flight Status McGhee Tyson Airport
To check the flight status at McGhee Tyson Airport, you can visit the airport’s official website at www.flyknoxville.com and click on the “Arrivals and Departures” tab. From there, you can search for your flight by airline, flight number, or city. The website provides up-to-date information on the status of each flight, including arrival and departure times, gate numbers, and any delays or cancellations.
Alternatively, you can also check the flight status using various third-party websites and mobile apps, such as FlightAware, FlightRadar24, or the airline’s official website or mobile app. These websites and apps also provide real-time information on the status of your flight, including any changes or updates. It is always a good idea to check the status of your flight before heading to the airport to avoid any unnecessary delays or disruptions.
McGhee Tyson Airport Arrival
List of flights Arrive today at McGhee Tyson Airport :
McGhee Tyson Airport Departure
List of flights Depart today from McGhee Tyson Airport :
McGhee Tyson Airport Security Wait Times
The security wait times at McGhee Tyson Airport can vary depending on the time of day, day of the week, and the number of passengers traveling. During peak travel periods, such as holidays or weekends, the security lines can be longer and the wait times can be longer.
To check the current security wait times at McGhee Tyson Airport, you can visit the TSA website at www.tsa.gov and click on the “Security Wait Times” tab. From there, you can search for McGhee Tyson Airport and view the estimated wait times for each checkpoint. The website also provides historical data and trends to help you plan your travel accordingly.
Alternatively, you can also check the airport’s official website or mobile app for the current security wait times. Some third-party websites and mobile apps also provide real-time information on the security wait times at the airport. It is always a good idea to arrive at the airport early, especially during peak travel periods, to allow enough time to clear security and reach your gate.
McGhee Tyson Airport Smoking Area
McGhee Tyson Airport is a smoke-free facility, and smoking is not allowed inside the terminal building or anywhere on airport property, including outside areas and parking lots. This policy is in line with the US Department of Transportation’s regulation that prohibits smoking on all flights and in all US airports.
However, there are designated smoking areas located outside of the terminal building, where passengers can smoke before or after their flights. These smoking areas are located in the areas marked “Smoking Permitted” near the baggage claim area, near the ground transportation center, and near the parking garage. These areas are clearly marked and equipped with ashtrays and benches for the comfort of the passengers.
McGhee Tyson Airport Map
McGhee Tyson Airport Aerial View
McGhee Tyson Airport Hotels
There are several hotels located near McGhee Tyson Airport that offer convenient accommodations for travelers. Here are some of the hotels located within a few miles of the airport:
- Hilton Knoxville Airport: This hotel is located directly across from the airport and offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel features an indoor pool, fitness center, restaurant, and bar.
- Courtyard by Marriott Knoxville Airport Alcoa: This hotel is located just 2 miles from the airport and offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel features a fitness center, outdoor pool, restaurant, and bar.
- Hampton Inn Knoxville Airport: This hotel is located just 3 miles from the airport and offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel features a fitness center, outdoor pool, complimentary breakfast, and free Wi-Fi.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alcoa: This hotel is located just 3 miles from the airport and offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel features a fitness center, indoor pool, complimentary breakfast, and free Wi-Fi.
- Mainstay Suites Alcoa Knoxville Airport: This hotel is located just 3 miles from the airport and offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel features a fitness center, outdoor pool, complimentary breakfast, and free Wi-Fi.
All of these hotels offer comfortable accommodations and convenient access to McGhee Tyson Airport. It is always a good idea to book your hotel in advance to ensure availability and to take advantage of any discounts or special rates.
McGhee Tyson Airport Lounges with timing
McGhee Tyson Airport has one lounge, the “United Club,” located near Gate 2 on the Concourse. The lounge is open daily from 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
The United Club is available to United Airlines customers, as well as Star Alliance Gold members traveling on a Star Alliance flight. The lounge features comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, Wi-Fi access, and a variety of other amenities.
It is always a good idea to check with the lounge directly or the airline to confirm the hours of operation, as they are subject to change based on airline schedules and other factors.
McGhee Tyson Airport Car Rental
What are the car rental companies at McGhee Tyson Airport
There are several car rental companies located at McGhee Tyson Airport, including:
- Alamo Rent a Car
- Avis Car Rental
- Budget Car Rental
- Dollar Rent a Car
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Hertz Rent a Car
- National Car Rental
- Thrifty Car Rental
All of these car rental companies have rental counters located in the baggage claim area of the terminal building, just steps away from the baggage carousels. Passengers can easily rent a car upon arrival and then proceed to the rental car center located on the lower level of the terminal, where the rental cars are parked and ready for pickup. It is always a good idea to book your rental car in advance to ensure availability and to take advantage of any discounts or special rates.
McGhee Tyson Airport Bus Service
McGhee Tyson Airport does not offer direct bus service to or from the airport. However, there are several regional and local bus services available that connect the airport to nearby cities and towns.
Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) offers bus service to and from downtown Knoxville via Route 20X. The bus stop is located just outside the terminal building, near the long-term parking lot. The fare for the KAT bus is $2 per ride, and the buses run on a regular schedule throughout the day.
In addition, Greyhound Bus Lines operates a bus station in Knoxville, which is located about 12 miles from McGhee Tyson Airport. Passengers can take a taxi, rideshare, or rental car to the bus station from the airport.
There are also several private shuttle and transportation companies that offer door-to-door service to and from the airport to nearby cities and towns. These services usually require advance reservations and may have additional fees.
Overall, while there are limited bus services available directly from the airport, passengers can still access public and private transportation options to reach their final destination.
McGhee Tyson Airport Restaurants
McGhee Tyson Airport offers a variety of dining options for travelers, including quick service restaurants, coffee shops, and sit-down restaurants. Here are some of the dining options available at the airport:
- Starbucks: Located pre-security, Starbucks offers a variety of coffee, tea, and baked goods.
- Dunkin’: Located post-security, Dunkin’ offers coffee, donuts, breakfast sandwiches, and other snacks.
- TN Brew Works: Located post-security, TN Brew Works offers local craft beer, cocktails, and a variety of food options.
- Ruby Tuesday: Located post-security, Ruby Tuesday offers a variety of American cuisine, including burgers, salads, and sandwiches.
- Cinnabon: Located post-security, Cinnabon offers a variety of sweet treats, including cinnamon rolls, coffee, and other baked goods.
- Quiznos: Located post-security, Quiznos offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, and soups.
- Tailwind: Located post-security, Tailwind offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, and soups.
- Peyton Manning’s: Located post-security, Peyton Manning’s offers a variety of food options, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
These are just a few of the dining options available at McGhee Tyson Airport. Passengers can also find a variety of grab-and-go options, such as pre-packaged sandwiches, salads, and snacks, at various locations throughout the airport.
McGhee Tyson Airport Parking with Price
McGhee Tyson Airport offers several parking options for passengers, including short-term and long-term parking. Here are the parking options available at the airport, along with their prices:
- Hourly Parking: This is the most convenient parking option for short-term stays. The rate is $1.50 for the first 30 minutes, $3 for the first hour, and $2 for each additional hour up to a maximum daily rate of $24.
- Daily Parking: This parking option is ideal for longer stays. The rate is $12 per day, with a maximum stay of 30 days.
- Economy Parking: This is the most affordable parking option at the airport. The rate is $8 per day, with a maximum stay of 30 days.
- Valet Parking: This parking option provides the most convenient parking experience. The rate is $32 per day, with a maximum stay of 30 days.
All of the parking options at McGhee Tyson Airport offer 24/7 shuttle service to and from the terminal building. Passengers can also reserve a parking spot in advance on the airport’s website for added convenience. Additionally, the airport offers a cell phone lot, where drivers can wait for arriving passengers for free.
McGhee Tyson Airport Long Term Parking
McGhee Tyson Airport offers long-term parking options for passengers who need to park their vehicles for an extended period. Here are the long-term parking options available at the airport:
- Economy Parking: This is the most affordable long-term parking option at the airport. The rate is $8 per day, with a maximum stay of 30 days. The Economy parking lot is located within walking distance to the terminal and is serviced by a complimentary shuttle service.
- Daily Parking: This parking option is ideal for longer stays, and the rate is $12 per day, with a maximum stay of 30 days. The Daily parking lot is located closer to the terminal than the Economy lot, and it also has a complimentary shuttle service.
- Valet Parking: This parking option provides the most convenient parking experience, with the rate of $32 per day, and a maximum stay of 30 days. The Valet parking lot is located adjacent to the terminal and offers valet service, where passengers can drop off their vehicles and pick them up at the terminal upon their return.
Passengers can reserve a long-term parking spot in advance on the airport’s website or can park on a first-come, first-served basis upon arrival. Additionally, the airport offers a cell phone lot, where drivers can wait for arriving passengers for free.
McGhee Tyson Airport Lost and Found
If you have lost an item at McGhee Tyson Airport, you can contact the airport’s Lost and Found department to report it. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the airport’s Lost and Found webpage at https://www.tys.org/lost-and-found.
- Fill out the online Lost and Found form with your contact information and details about the lost item, including the date and time it was lost, and a description of the item.
- The airport’s Lost and Found team will review the information you provided and search for your lost item.
- If the airport’s Lost and Found team finds your lost item, they will contact you to arrange for its return.
Alternatively, you can also contact the airport’s Lost and Found team by phone at (865) 342-3000. The Lost and Found office is located in the baggage claim area on the lower level of the terminal, and it is open daily from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.