Fairbanks International Airport
Fairbanks International Airport is a public airport located three miles (5 km) southwest of the central business district of Fairbanks, a city in the Interior region of the U.S. state of Alaska. It is the second-busiest airport in the state of Alaska after Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
Fairbanks International Airport serves as a hub for several regional airlines that provide scheduled passenger service to destinations throughout Alaska and the Lower 48 states. It also serves as a cargo hub, with a significant amount of freight passing through the airport each year.
The airport has two runways, both of which are equipped with Instrument Landing System (ILS) approaches. The terminal building features a variety of amenities for travelers, including shops and restaurants, a business center, and free Wi-Fi. The airport also offers parking, rental cars, and shuttle services to nearby hotels.
Fairbanks International Airport Code
|Owner||State of Alaska DOT&PF|
|Total passengers (12 month end 8-30-2018)||1,077,000|
|Aircraft operations (12 month end 2-28-2018)||119,898|
|Based Aircraft (2018)||569|
|Freight (2015)||133,685,593 lbs|
Fairbanks International Airport Location
Fairbanks International Airport is located at 6450 Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709, United States. It is situated approximately three miles (5 km) southwest of the central business district of Fairbanks. The airport is easily accessible by car and taxi, and there are also shuttle services available to transport passengers to and from the airport.
How to reach Fairbanks International Airport
Fairbanks International Airport can be reached by several modes of transportation, including:
- Car: The airport is easily accessible by car via Airport Way, which connects to the George Parks Highway. There are several parking options available at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available in Fairbanks and can provide transportation to the airport. The fare will depend on the distance traveled and the time of day.
- Shuttle: There are several shuttle services available in Fairbanks that provide transportation to and from the airport. These services can be booked in advance or arranged upon arrival at the airport.
- Public transportation: The Fairbanks Metropolitan Area Transportation System (FMATS) provides bus service to and from the airport. The bus stop is located outside the terminal building, and the fare is relatively low.
- Rental car: Several rental car companies have counters located in the terminal building, including Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. Customers can rent a car and drive themselves to and from the airport.
Fairbanks International Airport Terminal Information
Fairbanks International Airport has a single terminal building that serves both domestic and international flights. The terminal features a variety of amenities for travelers, including:
- Check-in counters: There are several check-in counters located in the terminal building, where passengers can check in for their flights.
- Security checkpoint: There is a TSA security checkpoint located in the terminal building that all passengers must pass through before accessing the gate area.
- Shops and restaurants: The airport has several shops and restaurants located throughout the terminal building, including gift shops, newsstands, cafes, and fast food restaurants.
- Business center: The airport features a business center with computers, printers, and free Wi-Fi for travelers who need to work or access the internet.
- Art exhibits: The terminal building features several art exhibits showcasing the work of local artists.
- Information desk: There is an information desk located in the terminal building where passengers can obtain information about flights, ground transportation, and other airport services.
- Restrooms: Restrooms are located throughout the terminal building, including family restrooms and accessible restrooms.
- Baggage claim: Baggage claim is located on the lower level of the terminal building, where passengers can retrieve their checked luggage after their flight.
Flight Status Fairbanks International Airport
To check the flight status at Fairbanks International Airport, you can visit the airport’s official website or use a flight tracker website/app such as FlightAware or FlightRadar24.
To check the flight status on the airport’s website, follow these steps:
- Go to the Fairbanks International Airport website (http://www.fai.alaska.edu/).
- Click on the “Flight Information” tab on the top menu bar.
- Select “Arrivals” or “Departures” to view the current flight status for the respective flights.
- You can either enter the flight number or the origin/destination city to search for a specific flight.
Alternatively, you can use a flight tracker website or app such as FlightAware or FlightRadar24. These websites/apps provide real-time flight status updates, including departure and arrival times, gate information, and any delays or cancellations. Simply enter the flight number or origin/destination city to track a specific flight.
Fairbanks International Airport Arrival
List of flights Arrive today at Fairbanks International Airport:
Fairbanks International Airport Departure
List of flights Depart today from Fairbanks International Airport:
Fairbanks International Airport Security Wait Times
Fairbanks International Airport offers a TSA PreCheck program that allows eligible passengers to move through security checkpoints more quickly. PreCheck passengers can keep on their shoes, belts, and light jackets, and are not required to remove liquids and laptops from their bags.
To check the security wait times at Fairbanks International Airport, you can visit the TSA website at https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/map or use the “MyTSA” app on your smartphone. These resources provide real-time wait time information for security checkpoints at airports across the United States.
It is recommended that passengers arrive at the airport at least two hours before their scheduled departure time for domestic flights, and three hours for international flights. This will allow sufficient time for check-in, security screening, and boarding. However, wait times can vary depending on the time of day and day of the week, so it is best to check wait times in advance and plan accordingly.
Fairbanks International Airport Smoking Area
Fairbanks International Airport is a smoke-free facility. Smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes and vaping devices, is prohibited inside the terminal building and on airport grounds. This policy is in accordance with the Smoke-Free Air Act that was passed in Alaska in 2018.
Passengers who wish to smoke before or after their flight will need to exit the terminal building and go to the designated smoking area outside of the terminal building. The smoking area is located at a distance from the terminal building, and passengers will need to re-enter through security screening upon their return to the terminal.
It is important to note that smoking is also prohibited on all flights operating to and from Fairbanks International Airport. Passengers who violate this policy may be subject to penalties or fines.
Fairbanks International Airport Map
Fairbanks International Airport Aerial View
Fairbanks International Airport Hotels
There are several hotels located near Fairbanks International Airport that offer convenient access to the airport and surrounding area. Here are some options:
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks: This hotel is located less than 3 miles (5 km) from the airport and offers a complimentary airport shuttle service. The hotel features spacious suites with kitchenettes, a fitness center, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
- Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn: This hotel is located about 3.5 miles (5.5 km) from the airport and offers a complimentary airport shuttle service. The hotel features a restaurant and lounge, a fitness center, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fairbanks: This hotel is located about 4 miles (6.5 km) from the airport and offers a complimentary airport shuttle service. The hotel features a fitness center, a business center, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks: This hotel is located about 4 miles (6.5 km) from the airport and offers a complimentary airport shuttle service. The hotel features a fitness center, a business center, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Fairbanks Airport: This hotel is located about 5 miles (8 km) from the airport and offers a complimentary airport shuttle service. The hotel features a fitness center, a business center, and a complimentary hot breakfast buffet.
These hotels offer a range of amenities and are conveniently located near the airport, making them ideal options for travelers with early morning or late-night flights.
Fairbanks International Airport Lounges with timing
Please note that lounge availability and operating hours may change, and it’s always best to check directly with the airport or the lounge for the most up-to-date information.
- Alaska Airlines Board Room Lounge: This lounge is available for Alaska Airlines passengers who have access to the Alaska Airlines Board Room program. It offers a comfortable and relaxing space with amenities such as complimentary snacks, beverages, Wi-Fi, and workstations. The lounge is located in Concourse C and is open during Alaska Airlines flight operations.
- Delta Sky Club: This lounge is available for Delta Air Lines passengers who have access to the Delta Sky Club program. It offers a variety of amenities including snacks, beverages, Wi-Fi, workstations, and showers. The lounge is located in Concourse C and is open during Delta Air Lines flight operations.
Please note that lounge availability and operating hours may vary depending on factors such as airline, membership status, and time of day. It’s always best to check directly with the airline or the lounge for the most up-to-date information on their operating hours and amenities.
Fairbanks International Airport Car Rental
What are the car rental companies at Fairbanks International Airport
There are several car rental companies that operate at Fairbanks International Airport. These include:
The car rental companies have counters located in the terminal building on the first floor near the baggage claim area. Passengers can also make reservations in advance online or by phone. It is recommended to book in advance as availability may be limited during peak travel times.
Fairbanks International Airport Bus Service
Fairbanks International Airport bus services may change, and it’s always best to check directly with the airport or the relevant transportation provider for the most up-to-date information.
Fairbanks International Airport, located in Fairbanks, Alaska, is primarily served by ground transportation options such as taxis, shuttles, and rental cars. However, there may be public bus services or other ground transportation options available from the airport, depending on the local transportation infrastructure and service providers. Some possible options for bus services at Fairbanks International Airport may include:
Public Transportation: There may be local public bus services operated by the local transit agency that serve Fairbanks International Airport. These services may provide connections to nearby destinations or transit hubs, such as downtown Fairbanks or other parts of the city. It’s recommended to check with the local transit agency for information on routes, schedules, fares, and other details.
Hotel Shuttles: Some hotels near Fairbanks International Airport may offer complimentary or paid shuttle services for their guests. These shuttles may operate on a schedule or by request, and they can provide transportation to and from the airport as well as other nearby destinations.
Private Shuttle Services: There may be private shuttle services or airport shuttle companies that operate at Fairbanks International Airport. These services may provide transportation to and from the airport to various destinations, such as hotels, tourist attractions, or other points of interest. It’s recommended to check with the airport or search online for available private shuttle services and their schedules, fares, and other details.
Please note that availability, schedules, fares, and other details of bus services at Fairbanks International Airport may vary and are subject to change. It’s always best to check directly with the airport or the relevant transportation provider for the most up-to-date and accurate information.
Fairbanks International Airport Restaurants
Fairbanks International Airport has several dining options located throughout the terminal building, offering a variety of cuisine choices to travelers. Some of the restaurants located at the airport include:
- Alaska Coffee Roasting Co. – Serving coffee, pastries, sandwiches, and other snacks.
- Subway – Offering a selection of sandwiches, salads, and sides.
- Westmark Bar & Grill – A full-service restaurant and bar featuring traditional American fare and local Alaskan dishes.
- Maverick Saloon & Grill – A restaurant and bar serving burgers, sandwiches, and pub-style fare.
- Great Alaskan Bowl Company – Offering a variety of soups, salads, and noodle bowls.
- Northern Lights Café – Serving breakfast items, sandwiches, soups, and salads.
- Quiznos – Offering a selection of sandwiches and salads.
These are just a few of the dining options available at Fairbanks International Airport. Additionally, there are several snack and beverage kiosks located throughout the terminal building.
Fairbanks International Airport Parking with Price
Fairbanks International Airport offers several parking options for travelers, including short-term and long-term parking lots. Here are the parking options and their prices:
- Hourly Parking Lot: Located close to the terminal building and suitable for short-term parking, this lot charges $3 for the first hour and $1 for each additional hour. The daily maximum is $24.
- Daily Parking Lot: This lot is located a bit further from the terminal building and is suitable for long-term parking. The rate is $15 per day.
- Economy Parking Lot: This lot is located further from the terminal building and is the most cost-effective option for long-term parking. The rate is $12 per day.
- Valet Parking: This service allows you to drop off your car at the terminal curbside and have it parked for you. The rate is $30 per day.
All parking options are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and payment can be made at the parking lot exit booths using cash or major credit cards. Additionally, there is a cell phone waiting lot available free of charge for those picking up passengers at the airport.
Fairbanks International Airport Long Term Parking
Fairbanks International Airport offers a long-term parking option for travelers at its Daily Parking Lot. The Daily Parking Lot is located a bit further from the terminal building than the Hourly Parking Lot and is suitable for longer stays. The rate for the Daily Parking Lot is $15 per day.
The Daily Parking Lot is open 24/7, and there are no reservations required. You can simply drive up to the lot, park your car, and pay for your parking at the parking lot exit booth when you leave. Payment can be made using cash or major credit cards.
If you’re planning a longer trip, the Economy Parking Lot may be a more cost-effective option, with a daily rate of $12. However, this lot is located even further from the terminal building and requires a shuttle ride to get to the terminal.
Fairbanks International Airport Lost and Found
Fairbanks International Airport has a lost and found service that can help travelers retrieve lost items. If you have lost an item at the airport, you can contact the lost and found department by phone at (907) 474-2509 or by filling out an online form on the airport’s website.
When reporting a lost item, be sure to provide as much detail as possible about the item, including a description, the date and time it was lost, and the location where it was lost. If you have any identifying information or a tracking number for the item, be sure to provide that as well.
If your lost item is found, you will be contacted by the lost and found department to arrange for its return. Items can be picked up in person at the airport, or arrangements can be made to have the item shipped to you at your expense.
It is recommended that travelers keep a close eye on their belongings while at the airport to minimize the risk of losing them.